Tuesday 28 June 2011

Chains / Laurie Halse Anderson

Isabel is the perfect slave - clever, compliant and skilled. However, unbeknown to her current owner, she has been taught to read. When the American Revolutionary War breaks out, she is able to put this to good use and spies on those who support the British. Not that Isabel wants to take sides, but she needs something to barter with to allow her to rescue her younger sister Ruth. This story is so well described that I felt I was back in the 1770s with Isabel. It is an engrossing story of not only day-to-day survival, but the struggle to be freed. This is the first book of a new series.

Who would enjoy this? This is a great book for finding out what it was like being a slave in 18th Century North America. Isabel is a feisty character with an agenda of her own, drawing you into her story and her quest for freedom.

Reviewed by Amy

1 comment:

  1. I would hate to be living a life that meant I couldn't make any choices about what would happen to me or any member of my family. Reading Isabel's was difficult as so many horrible things happened to her.

    ReplyDelete